Follow my Blog!

Enter your email above and follow my blog for reviews, tutorials, and a look inside my life as a Professional Makeup Artist!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

6 Steps to Silky, Sexy Hair!

Hello Dolls!

As a makeup artist, I have the pleasure of working with tons of amazing hair stylists during photoshoot and in doing so, i've learned so many amazing things! Contrary to popular belief, you don't have to spend a ton of money on high end salon products to acheive healthy, silky and sexy hair! I'm going to be passing down some pointers, do's and don'ts and tips on amazing products to help rebuild and to maintain healthy hair!

One of the most important things to focus on when trying to maintain healthy hair is to invest in a good shampoo and conditioner. Now, you don't necissarily need to run to the salon and buy an expensive shampoo and conditioner; there are tons of amazing finds in the aisle of your local supermarket or drugstore. For instance, I am such a fan of the L'Oreal Ever Pure Shampoo and Conditioner. They have a great range of products and offer a really great sulfate free shampoo and conditioner. Sulfate free hair products are always good; they safely yet gently cleanse hair without using harsh detergents that can strip away natural oils, color, and moisture. I would suggest sulfate free shampoo and conditioner to everyone! You can find these shampoo and conditioners at Wal-Mart starting at about $8.00 each.

Another really great product to use at least once a week is a clarifying shampoo. If you use lot of products in your hair (especially hair sprays, mousses, gels, or anything with a sticky residue), clarifying your hair once a week is like giving your hair a clean slate. A clarifying shampoo strips away any residue in your hair left behind by styling products and refreshes your hair. Some clarifying shampoos tend to have sulfates but, there are a few you can find that are sulfate free. Before, it used to be you couldn't find clarifying shampoos at the drugstore but now, brands like Herbal Essence, L'Oreal, and others have released their counterparts and at really affordable prices! I really like the Kenra Clarifying Shampoo. It costs about $10.00 and can be found at any salon that sells Kenra Products.

Another really important item to have is a leave in conditioner. Leave in conditioners are important because they provided added moisture to our hair and help rejuvenate any split and dry ends. Usually, you can find hundreds of different kinds of leave in conditioners anywhere you go and at very affordable prices. Another use for leave in conditioners is to serve as a detangler. One of the things people forget is that although such a measly task, running a brush through your hair can sometimes be harmful to your hair, so leave in conditioners serve as amazing detangling sprays so that you don't have to try and untangle any knots and messes your hair my have. I really like the John Frida Root Awakening Leave in Conditioner. It's got an amazing minty smell and make my hair feel so soft; not only after that application, but even the next day. I have noticed such a difference since I began using a leave in conditioner. You can find this product at any drugstore, varying from $3.00-$6.00.

Also, investing in a good brush makes such a difference. As far as brushes, I love these Olivia Garden Bamboo Brushes. The tips of these brushes have soft padded tips so that they help massage the scalp to promote blood circulation; helping promote hair growth and stop hair loss. Sounds crazy but since I began using them, i've really noticed I lose less hair and it detangles really well without tugging or pulling on my hair. I think everyone tend to forget to invest in a good brush! I got mine at a salon for about $15.00. Beleive me, you will notice a difference!

One very important element of healthy hair, is using a mask at least weekly. A good hydrating mask helps keep hair healthy and repairs any damage that could be caused on a daily basis. One important thing to remember is no matter where you purchase it, masks tend to be pretty pricey. I've heard tons of great things about a few drugstore masks and I particularly love the Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Mask (which i'm currently using and LOVE) but, i've never used anything quite like the Moroccan Oil Hydrating Mask. It has the standard Moroccan Oil scent and gives the hair such a vibrant shine and sheen. I am also a huge fan of the original Moroccan Oil but If I had to choose, i'd choose the mask. It can be found at any salon that sells Morocan Oil products and usually runs at a hefty $40.00!

And last but very certainly not least, a heat protectant. I believe that this one one of the most important steps in keeping your hair vibrant and healthy. Think of it this way, would you go out into the BURNING sun without sunscreen? No, right? So, why would you put a 450 degree iron on your hair? Heat protection is essential for keeping your hair free of dryness and most importantly, spit ends. Using a heat protectant everyday and before all usage of heat tools will help you keep your hair looking great. I love the Redken 02 Heat Protectant but, i'm really LOVING the Tresseme Heat Tamer Spray and the fact that I can find it at my local drugstore for $5.00 is also great!

Alright dolls, I hope you all maybe learned something from this post and hopefully, I didn't just overwhelm you with tons of text (i'm a chatter box!). Let me know what are some of your essential hair products; my vanity has room for more products!

Mucho Amor,
Edith

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers